Welcome to Culture Cravings!
Every week I make food and drinks that I crave from around the world. Follow me as I bring the best cultures back home.
Today's Craving: Tortilla Española from Spain
Check out my how-to video below:
8 Large Eggs
2 cups Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2-2 lbs Potatoes
3/4 lbs Onions
1. Prep. Peel and thinly slice your potatoes and onions. Don't let your potatoes sit too long or they will start to brown.
2. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes and onions. They should gently simmer in the oil. (Turn down the heat if it's too vigorous.) Regulate the heat to maintain a gentle bubbling. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and onions are tender.
3. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with a big pinch of salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a heatproof bowl and drain the oil from the potatoes and onions. Reserve oil.* Transfer potatoes and onions to a medium bowl and season generously with salt. Stir well to combine. Add potatoes and onions to the eggs and stir until thoroughly combined.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil to the skillet and set over medium-high heat until shimmering. (Wipe the skillet before adding the oil, if desired/necessary). Add the tortilla mixture into the skillet and cook until the bottom and sides begin to set, about 5-6 minutes. Adjust the heat to prevent the bottom of the tortilla from burning.
6. Once the bottom is lightly browned, flip the tortilla over. Place a large overturned flat plate and, in one very quick motion, invert the tortilla onto it. Add 1 more tablespoon of reserved oil to the skillet, return to heat, and then carefully slide the tortilla back into skillet. (Or take a second skillet similar in size, heat 1 tablespoon of reserved olive oil in it, and then flip it directly into the new pan.) Continue to cook until second side is firm and lightly browned (about 2-4 minutes). Remove from heat and carefully slide tortilla onto a clean plate. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
*Use the delicious reserved potato and onion oil in other dishes.